Our goal is to make NTP ubiquitous by providing a free simple implementation
that is secure and easy to configure.
- Be as secure as possible. Code carefully, do strict
validity checks especially in the network input path, and use
bounded buffer operations. Use privilege separation to mitigate
the effects of possible security bugs.
- Provide a lean implementation, sufficient for a
majority. Don't try to support each and every obscure usage
case, but cover the typical ones.
- Try to "Just Work" in the background.
- Work with just a minimum of configuration.
- Interoperate in the best possible way with the
cluster, by supporting DNS lookups safely.
- Reach a reasonable accuracy. Do not sacrifice secure
design for getting that last nanosecond or obscure edge case.